Ankle sprain is a frequent injury among professional athletes and recreational players. Out of them 30% to 85% of patients develop chronic ankle instability.
Chronic ankle instability occurs due to,
Structural issues which are
What are the functional issue?
- Improperly healed ligaments
- Weak proprioception
- Poor postural control
- Nerve-muscle control
- Reduced dorsiflexion
If not treated properly patient will complain of pain, swelling, stiffness, instability and repeated injury, it may last upto years after injury.Chronic ankle instability may cause secondary issues if not rehabilitated.
• Peroneal muscle tendon strain
• Impingement of soft tissues
• Osteochondral loose bodies
Balance is maintained by three systems,
• Mechanoceptors from limb ( activated first and most precise)
• Visual feedback from eyes (activated later)
• Vestibular system of middle ear ( activated last)
Weak proprioception impairs ability to maintain the correct postural strategy which in turn affects upper body functions and in long term alignment.
How will you approach an ankle during rehab phases ?
Register to read full access…. Stay tune for more updates